From the head of the Department of Anesthesiology:
I am truly humbled and honored to serve as Head of the Anesthesiology Department, following the extraordinary 27-year tenure and inspirational leadership of Dr. Alex Evers. We have experienced tremendous successes and growth, are consistently ranked among the highest anesthesiology departments in NIH funding, and we have assembled a dynamic team within the department, including:
- exceptional attending anesthesiologists, intensive care specialists, pain management consultants, certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNAs), advanced care nurse practitioners (ACNPs); physician assistants, and pain management nurse practitioners;
- fellows across all anesthesiology sub-specialties, the most talented and scholarly residents, postdoctoral research associates, and high caliber student CRNAs and student ACNPs;
- world leaders in basic, translational and clinical research in anesthesiology and related fields, including neuroscientific foundations of pain, sleep, itch, inflammation, and general anesthesia; as well as clinical outcomes research;
- sophisticated leaders in the areas of medical student, postgraduate, and advanced nursing education;
- trailblazers in telemedicine for intensive care, perioperative medicine, and peripartum care; and
- highly qualified and dedicated staff, who help each area of the department succeed in its mission.
Our vision as a department is to work collaboratively with our partners at Washington University School of Medicine and the Barnes-Jewish Hospital complex to continuously improve the health and well-being of the people in our community and our department. Motivated by this vision, our quadripartite mission is to:
- Deliver state-of-the-art patient care in the areas of preoperative evaluation, intraoperative anesthesia, peripartum care, postoperative critical care, and pain management.
- Provide the highest quality of undergraduate and postgraduate medical education, as well as advanced nursing education. We provide a well-organized and comprehensive residency program for training – both leaders in clinical anesthesiology and related areas, as well as exceptional clinician-scientists.
- Make substantial contributions to the underpinning scientific foundations and the clinical practice of anesthesiology and related areas. We achieve this through diverse research programs and scientific pursuits across the translational continuum.
- Prioritize the development and well-being of all department members. We do this by creating a just and collaborative culture and by promoting diversity and inclusion at all levels of our organization. We encourage people from historically marginalized and disadvantaged backgrounds to join and grow in our department. We recognize that our success – and that of everyone around us – depends on how well we value, engage, and include a rich and diverse community.
We are patient-centered in our outlook and are increasingly engaging patients as key stakeholders in guiding our priorities. We are committed to promoting health holistically, embracing the World Health Organization’s definition: “health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” We also apply this holistic approach to the careers of the many valued members of our department. We aim to promote an environment where all are encouraged to thrive and to actualize their potential. We have built a nurturing community in which we support all members at every stage of their careers.
We hope that you will join our vibrant community and partner with us as we foster a collaborative culture that is conducive to excellence in the department, the Medical School, and our hospital system.
Michael S. Avidan, MBBCh, FCASA
Dr. Seymour and Rose T. Brown Professor of Anesthesiology
Head of Department of Anesthesiology