General Anesthesia at Barnes-Jewish Hospital South has one of the largest operative theaters in Missouri. It provides services for more than 30 operating rooms and 10 remote locations that handle over 30,000 anesthetic cases per year.
Our global mission is to:
- provide excellent, efficient, compassionate patient care;
- teach the future generation of anesthesiologists to excel in perioperative medicine;
- provide opportunities for clinical and translational research in order to optimize patient care and education;
- and to contribute to the overall welfare of our community.
Specialty areas under General Anesthesia include colorectal anesthesia, neuroanesthesia, obstetrical anesthesia, regional anesthesia, and vascular transplant anesthesia.
Physician-scientists & Faculty
Our faculty provide comprehensive clinical anesthesiology services for patients undergoing general surgery, neurosurgery (with intraoperative MRI capabilities), ENT surgery, peripheral and major vascular surgery (open and endovascular), urologic surgery (including robotic surgery), colorectal surgery, gynecological surgery, trauma (Level I center), interventional radiology, transplant surgery, and hepatobiliary surgery.
In addition to their clinical duties, General Anesthesia faculty members are involved in several key departmental and university activities:
- Clinical Chief of Anesthesiology at Barnes-Jewish Hospital: Ivan Kangrga, MD, PhD
- Associate Clinical Chief of Anesthesiology at Barnes-Jewish Hospital: Jason Gillihan, MD
- Director of Resident Education: Anand Lakshminarasimhachar, MD
- Assistant Program Director for Scholarship, Residency Program: Aaron Norris, MD, PhD
- Development and implementation of the Perioperative electronic record: Dan Helsten, MD